A seasoned gamers view

Monday, August 21, 2017

Brief Word on This Solar Eclipse Business



So there's something pretty big happening today, and a lot of people are excited about it. My sister asked me yesterday if I was going to watch the solar eclipse. I told her I might; I honestly had not thought about it. She was stunned by my lack of enthusiasm.
I can't tell if the eclipse is just a non-event for me, or if I am just sick of all the talk and excitement surrounding it. Social media just make things worse by allowing people to drone on and on about the thing. I know, ironic coming from a guy who is writing a blog.
I had a work buddy tell me that he went moutain climbing Labor Day weekend, and he dubbed that “great fun.” I am an indoor, solitary guy. Guys like me rarely get the urge to take off our socks and tiptoe through the tulips, so to speak. My nephew Tyler had to explain what those 13.1 and 26.2 bumper stickers meant, if that tells you anything.
The last solar eclipse I watched was in 1979. Some friends and I drove downtown so that we could view it in the park. We did not have solar eclipse glasses. We had made homemade viewing instruments out of household items. I made a viewer out of a Pringles can. We were freezing cold but also brimming with youthful excitement. I wonder if any old timers passed behind us while we had our faces plastered to shoe boxes and a Pringles can, and just shook their heads at us.
Here's a bit of eclipse advice. Today, when I interact with any cashiers or baristas, when they say “Thank You,” “Have a Nice Day,” or “Come Again,” (assuming they can be bothered to do that), I will reply, “R'Lyeh,” just to see what their reaction is. If they look at you with stunned confusion, just smile and leave. If they reply with, “Wgah'nagl Fhtagn,” or “Cthulhu Will Rise,” then you have found proof that there are still cool people in this world. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women at the Wargame

Is this how you see it?     Last Saturday night, we were engaged in our usual post game Mexican restaurant dinner wrapup. We were just...